Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 36/365 Burn it Blue

OK, so this is a very grainy shot.  However, it is a bottle of fire, and I'm still practicing with this one, so this is the best shot I've gotten so far!
I saw a picture on the net of bottles burning fire on the inside and finally got some settings on it.  Then I watched a tutorial on you tube on how to light alcohol...sounds dangerous, right?
So, I've been waiting for it to be dark, and set up my camera on a tripod at 1/2 second exposure.  I had a black foam core board behind the bottle, filled it with rubbing alcohol ( I had 70 percent), shook it up to coat the whole inside of the bottle, let Rich throw the match inside and I hit the shutter release cable.  About 20 tries later, this is the best one I got.  Stephen and his little buddy who was spending the night clapped and cheered and said that was awesome.  His friend said that we have a "cool house".  Luckily, we're not on fire right now.
I plan on trying this again tomorrow to get a cleaner shot.  I'm going to buy some higher percentage alcohol (I ran out, that's the only reason I stopped tonight) , more matches and I'm going to try to light paint on the label as well as using a 2 or 3 second exposure.
EXIF: f 5.6, 1/2 second exposure, ISO 800, 100mm, on tripod.

2 comments:

  1. This idea is Freaking COOL!!!! Love the Caetano/Lila title, too! Can't wait to see what you get tonight. Just be careful, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWOWOW!! This one is awesome. I love it. I coulen't figure out what it was until I read about it. Do you have a fire extinguisher incase of emergency?
    PB

    ReplyDelete