Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 22 1/2 Grandma's fudge

I miss my Grandma so much.  She's almost been gone for 5 years and I just had the tears well up on me when I finally got this fudge right.  I remember watching her make it in her kitchen and we'd sit around waiting for it to cool and it would be gone in like 10 minutes. 

Grandma's kitchen was my favorite place in the world. When people have told me to think of my "happy place", that's what I picture.  It wasn't the most beautiful of kitchens, in fact, it was basically falling down all around us, but it was where I spent so many happy times.

Grandma, you wouldn't have any idea what a blog is, but I am mentally sending you this fudge. I wish you were here to enjoy it with me and the rest of the family tonight.  I'm trying to keep us together for you.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got this right and that you have such wonderful memories with your grandma. It's nice that you can share this with your family tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to know what the secret to this special fudge is besides the great memories. Grandma would be proud that you're trying to keep the family together. Sending you love tonight.
    xoxoP

    ReplyDelete
  3. P- the secret was that after getting the ingredients to the "soft ball" stage, remove the pot from the heat, add the butter and vanilla but don't stir, let it cool to 150 degrees and then beat it super hard until it loses the glaze. Then put it in the pan. ;)

    ReplyDelete